Carer’s – Your right to a conversation about your needs

As an adult carer you are entitled to a carers assessment from your local council.

The assessment takes place as a conversation between you and a social worker from Wakefield Council and looks at how caring affects your life, including for example, physical, mental and emotional needs, and whether you are able or willing to carry on caring.

It is your decision whether you have a carers assessment or not.

Following the conversation you may be provided with practical suggestions and advice or signposted to services and groups that may be able to help. Some people may be eligible for some funded support from the Council. You may wish to discuss for example ideas/options for a break from caring.

Please note that not all services are free. Although you may be eligible for a Carer Personal Budget which is an amount of money awarded to you, to give you a break from your caring role or to buy something that makes your life easier. It is not means tested and if your application is successful, you have a wide choice about how the money is spent.

More information about this can be found on the Mobilise website.

You can ask for an assessment at any time, please talk to the social worker that is working with the person you care for (if they have one) or alternatively email or phone 0345 8 503 503 and ask for a carers needs assessment.

Wakefield Discovery and Recovery Colleges

We run short courses and one off workshops across the whole of the Wakefield district to support you to; understand and manage health conditions, find new skills and interests, build strengths and inner resources, engage in physical activity and become an expert in your own self-care.

This includes courses and resources specifically for carers. 

Including this 6 week course: Caring for me & you - Wakefield Recovery and Wellbeing College ( 

Last updated: 5/12/2023