Please review and correct the information below.

Ophthalmologists and Optometrists

Ophthalmologists are specialist eye doctors who diagnose, treat and monitor eye conditions with medication and surgery. They usually work in hospital eye departments or clinics (often called ophthalmology departments). Ophthalmologists are able to assess your vision and decide if your vision is eligible to be certified. They will complete a Certificate of Visual Impairment and register you with Wakefield District Council, if you agree.

Optometrists (opticians) are able to detect eye conditions and refer you to an ophthalmologist for diagnosis and treatment if it is needed. Optometrists are able to discuss your eye condition, how to look after your eyes and direct you to further support services if needed. The Royal National Institute for the Blind (RNIB) recommends that you see an optician every 12 months to check on the health of your eyes.

The services of ophthalmologist can be accessed by a referral from either your doctor or optician (optometrist).

Last reviewed: 02/04/2015

Report this page

Close window

You can use this form to register any query or complaint you may have about this website or any of the content within it. Simply fill in the details below and this will be sent directly to us to investigate. We will always try and respond within one working day.

Page Reference: Visual impairment Ophthalmologists

However if you have further concerns about internet safety and would like further independent advice, please select the CEOP button below.

Child Exploitation and Online Protection Centre Internet Safety
Helpdesk Icon

Need help?

Close window

If you need help using shop4support call the shop4support Helpdesk on
0333 600 6330 or email info@shop4support.com

If you have a question about social care, please contact your council.
Find out who your council is here.