This site has been developed with the support of Wakefield Healthwatch citizen’s panel and partner organisations across Wakefield District. If you have any feedback on the site please email

Text size:

Supporting Well

Who will be there when I need extra help?

Social Care Direct

You should contact Social Care Direct first if you or someone you know appears to need adult social care services in Wakefield.

Social Care Direct will make an assessment by asking questions over the phone. This gives the customer service adviser all relevant information to consider the help you might need. If appropriate, your details will be passed to a community social work team to look at your social care needs. This w​ill include a visit to your home by a social worker. If we don't think you need a social care assessment, we will give advice and information about what other agencies and support groups can offer.

If you are worried about the safety or well-being of an adult at risk or older person please contact Social Care Direct. They will deal with your concerns and offer advice and support about what to do. You do not need to give your name - you can make an anonymous referral.

Age UK

Our team are trained to identify the information that will best answer your questions. This might be by sending you our advice guides or helping you to find local services run by Age UK in your area. If we can’t help, we will direct you to the best place to go for further support and advice.

Stroke Association

Our Stroke Helpline is a place for information and support. If you or someone you know has been affected by stroke, or you want to know more information on how to reduce your risk of a stroke, please get in touch. Many people find that their finances suffer after a stroke, look at the guides.

Last updated: 8/24/2022