This site has been developed with the support of Wakefield Healthwatch citizen’s panel and partner organisations across Wakefield District. If you have any feedback on the site please email email@example.com
West Yorkshire Fire & Rescue Service – Safe and Well Visits
West Yorkshire Fire & Rescue Service has pioneered community fire prevention programmes and offers a Safe and Well Visit service to help you make your home safe and minimise the risk of a fire.
During a Safe and Well visit to your home, the fire prevention officers will:
- Accompany you to assess fire safety in every room in your property
- Identify and make you aware of the potential fire risks in your home
- Make sure you know what to do in order to reduce or prevent these risks
- Help you put together an escape plan in case a fire breaks out in the future
- Ensure you have a working smoke alarm, and ensure you know how to test and maintain it
- Give basic advice on topics such as:
- Crime prevention
- Falls prevention
- Cold homes
- Smoking cessation
- Social isolation
- Assess the need for free interventions to help you reduce the risk of fire in your home
- Refer you (with your permission of course) to agencies that may offer further help to keep you safe and well.
You can find out more by pressing here.
Not everybody will qualify for a Safe and Well visit. They assess all referrals to ensure that they are focusing their time on those who are most at risk of fire. If you are deemed as being low risk, they offer a free interactive online resource to help you conduct your own fire safety check. Once completed, you are provided with a personal advice sheet to print off or keep electronically.
To see if you are eligible for a Safe and Well visit, please complete the online request form by pressing here. Or try their free interactive Home Fire Safety Check to help conduct your own fire safety check by pressing here.
You can also find further safety advice by pressing here.