This site has been developed with the support of Wakefield Healthwatch citizen’s panel and partner organisations across Wakefield District. If you have any feedback on the site please email email@example.com
What we do
- provide manual and powered wheelchairs and specialist seating to help people with clinical needs for posture and mobility
- offer repairs and planned preventative maintenance checks on our wheelchairs
How do I access the service?
- ask your GP or other healthcare professional to make a referral for you
You will be offered a Personal Wheelchair Budgets (PWB) if you are eligible for a NHS Wheelchair.
You can choose to take your PWB in the following ways:
- Notional Personal Wheelchair Budget
This is the provision of a standard NHS wheelchair to meet your identified needs.
- Notional Personal Wheelchair Budget with contribution
This offers you the option to contribute towards your PWB if you want a higher specification of NHS wheelchair or add additional features than prescribed to meet your clinical needs. You will pay the difference between the cost.
- Third-Party Personal Wheelchair Budget
This gives you the option to use your PWB towards a wheelchair from an independent supplier outside of the NHS. This is only available if the wheelchair is deemed clinically appropriate following a discussion with a wheelchair therapist. The value of your PWB will be issued in the form of a voucher.
- Short term wheelchair hire
The British Red Cross offer wheelchair hire for £20 a week.